Monday, March 9, 2009

CHRIS BROWN ARRAIGNMENT POSTPONED: Artist due back in court on April 6; more details regarding altercation with Rihanna.

chris brown
*A Los Angeles judge has granted a request from Chris Brown's attorney to postpone his arraignment until April 6 at 8:30 a.m., according to local reports.

The 19-year-old pop star was officially charged Thursday morning with assault likely to cause great bodily injury and making criminal threats in connection with the alleged beating of his girlfriend, singer Rihanna. He could face up to four years in prison if convicted of the two felonies.

Sporting a gray suit with a white button up shirt and flanked by his lawyer Mark Geragos, Brown arrived on time for his scheduled 3:30 p.m. arraignment to a horde of media cameras and photographers.

Geragos asked the judge to postpone his arraignment until April 6th. Chris signed a waiver allowing Garagos to appear in court on his behalf. But the judge ordered him to appear on April 6, 2009 at 8:30 a.m.

Rihanna's lawyer was also present in the courtroom. He shook Brown's hand at one point and said, "nice to see you again."

Brown was also placed on a 60 day protective order. The judge said he is not allowed to "annoy or harass" anyone. He remains free on $50,000 bond.

Prosecutors said Brown attacked Rihanna, whose real name is Robyn Fenty, the night before the Grammy Awards last month. She was referred to in the official complaint as "Robyn F."

The first count claims that he "did willfully and unlawfully commit an assault on Robin F by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury."

A second count of criminal threats states that Brown "unlawfully threatened to commit a crime with which [sic] would result in death and great bodily injury to Robin F. with the specific intent that the statement be taken as a threat."

"It is further alleged that the threatened crime on its face value and under its circumstances in which it was made was so unequivocally and unconditional and specific to convey to Robin F a gravity of purpose and an immediate prospect of execution."

The documents also allege that "the said Robin F was reasonably in sustained fear of his/she [sic] safety and the safety of his/her immediate family."

The charges were filed a week after Brown and Rihanna, who dated for about a year, were reported to have reconciled.

Meanwhile, LAPD detective notes from a search warrant in the case detail the events leading up to the alleged beating. [Read the original document here, courtesy of SmokingGun.com: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0305093brown1.html]

According to Los Angeles police Detective De Shon Andrews, the two began arguing in Brown's rented Lamborghini after Rihanna read a three-page text message from a woman with whom he had previous sexual relations. Brown allegedly tried forcing Rihanna out of the car but couldn't because she was wearing her seat belt.

Brown then allegedly shoved Rihanna's head against the passenger window, "causing an approximate one inch raised circular contusion." When Rihanna turned to face him, Brown punched her, then continued punching her while driving, according to the detective's notes.

Blood spattered all over Rihanna's clothing and in the interior of the car. Her mouth was filled with blood. Brown allegedly told Rihanna, "I'm going to beat the **** out of you when we get home. You wait and see."

Andrews also writes that Brown tried to choke Rihanna after she took the keys to his car away. Andrews wrote that Rihanna nearly lost consciousness but also tried to fight back while in the car, at one point trying to gouge at Brown's eyes.

Rihanna, according to the notes, pretended to call her assistant and leave a message saying, "I am on my way home. Make sure the cops are there when I get there." Brown then replied, "You just did the stupidest thing ever. I'm going to kill you."

According to the report, Brown continued to punch Rihanna, bit her on her ear, her fingers and put her in a headlock – causing her to nearly lose consciousness.

E! News is reporting that Rihanna's $11,000 strapless Gucci gown, on loan to the superstar for Clive Davis' annual Pre-Grammy Gala, was among the evidence turned over to the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office because it contained blood stains.

The Web site also learned that, just hours after the alleged attack, the LAPD filed an emergency protective order—at Rihanna's request—barring Brown from having any contact with her. The order expired five days later, according to sources.

"Access Hollywood" reported yesterday that Brown was photographed at 3:30 a.m. Thursday morning arriving at Rihanna's temporary L.A. residence via limo.


No comments:

Post a Comment